Monday, May 2, 2011

Start It Up, by Kenrya Rankin (nonfiction) - your small-business guide

book cover of Start It Up by Kenrya Rankin published by Zest Books
If you're thinking about starting a business, I suggest you check out this book - Rankin has great checklists, quizzes, and advice, all in a well-crafted package. New best friend for up-and-coming entrepreneurs, ask for it at your local library or independent bookstore.
**kmm

Book Info: Start It Up: The Complete Teen Business Guide to Turning Your Passions Into Pay / by Kenrya Rankin. Zest Books, 2011. http://www.zestbooks.net/

My Recommendation: Your hobby or favorite activity could be a great way to make money, so use this business guide for teens to get started! Successful entrepreneurs (people who start their own business and work for themselves) work hard, communicate well, can multitask, are organized, and manage their time and money carefully – if you don’t have all these skills, you can learn them as you create your business.

Well-organized, with many checklists and questions to ask yourself, Start It Up helps you write a business plan, scope out your prospects, build a realistic budget, and keep track of all the paperwork entailed in owning your company. Quotes and notes from teen entrepreneurs who’ve succeeded in their chosen line of work are encouraging, yet realistic.

You’ll learn about hiring and managing employees, publicizing your business, providing great customer service, and using your business to make the world a better place. Lots of resources for each chapter point you to sources of further information.

Whether it’s gathering a board of advisors, raising start-up money, registering your business name, or filing your self-employment taxes (yes, you have to pay taxes even if you’re not an adult), you’ll find information and remember-this guides to help you avoid common new-business pitfalls as you follow your passions to a well-deserved payday.
(one of 5,000 books recommended on www.abookandahug.com) Review copy and cover image courtesy of the publisher.

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful blog! And you are so good at picking great books... can't wait to read more!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that! Love the pink! (Come visit mine to see more pink!) I'm rushing out the door but hope to come back and spend some time perusing your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the above: your blog is so visually appealing. It drew me right in. And I love YA novels (I am working on one now and my daughter loves us to read books and compare). I'm looking forward to more of your posts. Enjoy the Blogathon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many adults can benefit from the information in this book, too. And yes, the blog is nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I am 12 years old and I just picked up Start It Up this book from my school library today and I absoultly love it. I wanted to become a veterinarian but I don't want to see animals get pt to sleep so I am going to be an entrepreneur and own a pet clinic named Animal Kingdom. Thank you so much i learned a lot from this AMAZING BOOK!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Spam, spam, spam lately, so no Anonymous comments for now.